June 29, 2015

Ombre Sea Shell Heart

Last summer we had the joy of going to Myrtle Beach with family. It was such a blast! We made sure to bring home some sea shells to turn into something magnificently crafty.

Going on a year later, I finally figured out how I wanted them! The best part is I just went through the house and found how I wanted it. :-)


What you need
* Solid color cardboard
* Hot glue gun and glue
* Burlap
* Tape
* Frame
* Scissors
* Marker

It's pretty easy, to make on a whim. All the supplies I found around the house - which makes it feel pretty much free!

To Make Your Own
First trace and cut the card board to fit the your frame. My frame is a 8 x 10. The cereal box had a white inside (I think it was a Sams double box) so it worked perfectly behind the burlap.

Next place the card board on top of the burlap. Make sure if there is a "good side" to either that they are facing down. Tap the burlap the back side of the card board as tight as you can. The closest tape I had available was painters tape. I was too lazy to go get duct tape, which will probably hold up better in the long run.


If you haven't plugged in the glue gun, do that! While it heats up you can start laying out your shells where you want them. Now all you have to do is hot glue the shells to the burlap. 


I found that it help for me to put all the shells down where I wanted them on the burlap. Then, I would remove about 3-4, put the glue on the BURLAP, then put the shells back. For an 8x10 I used 4 sticks 3 or 4 sticks of glue. Not sure, since I wasn't counting!


Once the heart was done, I cut a "label"  of cardboard to the size needed, wrote on it, then glued it to the burlap.


Simple enough, but oh so pretty!


Check back in a week to see where it ends up!

What do you do to display your sea souvenirs?

No comments:

Post a Comment